Lives up to expectations!

by: faxmachineanthem - 5 Nov 2011

• Overall Rating 5
  • Family Friendly 4
  • All Mtn. Terrain 5
  • Terrain Park 3
  • Nightlife 5

Pros: Great boarding, great apres/nightlife, amazing scenery and views

Cons: Perhaps not as many runs as linked areas in France

Recommended For: Singles, Empty Nesters

Date Visited: 1 Jan 2011

Full review

Chamonix is often seen as the mecca of skiing/boarding in Europe and although I've not travelled around as much as I would like, I'd probably have to agree. The mountains and the range of different areas are immense and I can only imagine some of the off piste locations (in good snow conditions) would be brilliant.

My party was composed of six male friends and we had an amazing trip. The snow wasn't great (but it was 2011 and the whole of Europe was suffering) but we really made the most of it by going to almost every rideable area in the region (including Courmayeur in Italy, just the other side of Mt Blanc). The weather was blue bird every day which was really nice and it was pretty warm at times. Our group was made up of beginners and intermeditates and the beginners managed really well on the slopes of Chamonix. It definitely isn't a place which should instantly put off beginners because you can cope pretty well (my friends did anyway). I'd recommend learning somewhere else however (they did a day on at Milton Keynes snowdome) as the best beginner slopes are a bus ride away down the valley.

The nightlife is really good with lots of varied bars to enjoy. The town is beautiful and can be easily enjoyed by singles, couples, groups and families. There are a lot of restaurants, although many aren't particularly cheap, but you can definitely get some reasonable value dinners too.

Overall the town is great and the boarding/skiing is amazing. I definitely recommend Chamonix to inters and advanced riders and even to beginners if you learn elsewhere and then ride with more competent friends.

UK