by: thrownflies - 10th April 2009

• Family Friendly
  • 3Nightlife
  • Terrain Park
  • Value
Great staff, Great terrain, welcome lack of glitz, access by train
some fog, poorly laid out lift access

Full review

4 of us (2 couples) in our 30's visited Whitefish over presidents day week friday to friday. We stayed at Crestwood condo's between town and the resort. We rode the train in from Minnesota. Didn't rent a car so we relied on the ski bus to get to the mtn and taxi to get to town. Each taxi trip was about $10. We spent far less this route rather than renting a car. All the bus drivers were very friendly and gave us good tips for enjoying the area while not skiing. In turn we tipped them well also. Of the 3 skiers and 1 boarder we all enjoyed the diversity of the terrain. I am a significantly more advanced skiier that the others. On the first morning all of us took a ski with a couple of the Embassadors to get a good look at the mtn. I would suggest this for your first trip to the mtn. We skiid together for the first day then my wife and I wanted to tackle some more advanced terrain. It worked great to split up and plan on meeting for luch at the Hellroaring Saloon. Great staff, food and booze. On the 3rd day after staying up too late and many too many cocktails the others decided it'd be a good day for the hot tub, pool and a stroll around town. Not me, I was there to ski hard. That morning I hooked up with an Embassador again for an introduction to more advanced terrain since my wife was not allong. The Embassador was great and took me into the trees for some incredibly deep lines. She also showed me some good intermediate trees to get my wife into some pow for next few days. We did have some fog to deal with but not bad, like the other posters have mentioned it is pretty easy to find good visibility somewhere on the mtn. There were definately a good number of people on the mtn over the weekend but we nearly had the place to ourselves the rest of the week. Never did we wait more than 5 minutes for a chair anywhere on the mtn, even on the busiest days. My favorite advanced areas where the hellroaring basin, east rim and elephants graveyard. There was a lot of great intermediate terrain that I could slide off into the bumps and trees and reconnect with my wife at the end of the run. I would have liked to have better conditions to ski the advanced terrain on the front side. It was pretty chunky and no one was skiing it. The back was incredible though. All in all we had a great experience at Whitefish Mtn resort. I definately like the lack of the "show" crowd. You know, the look at me and my fancy car, fancy equipment, fancy clothes and no skill type! I will definately go back. But living in the plains and only getting to the mtns once a year makes me want to check out other ski areas before going back to Whitefish. What it comes down to is go up the mtn, ski hard, party, have fun, respect others and be thankfull God has given us the opportunity to experience such a beautiful mountain!

UK