by: Nick Pope - 26th October 2010

• Value
Terrain, Atmosphere, Culture
Slow lifts.

Full review

Taos is one of the most incredible experiences I have had at a resort. This mountain has some incredible terrain both lift accessed and hike to. What is great about this mountain is it has the family feel with the amenities of a corporate resort. The village is modeled after an Austrian alpine town. The staff where very nice and the facilities were more than adequate. The ski area village has some cool bars and lodging. I didn't stay there so I am not sure how the night life at the village is. In Taos there are a few cool little bars and resturaunts with lots of culture. The Northern New Mexico vibe is very unique to the ski industry. Some of the locals were some of the most rippin telemarkers I have ever seen. Crunchy is how I describe some of the locals. Not sold on designer ski suits or million dollars mansions, more like adobe casita's with a chiminea and ski's stuck in the snow. The food in Taos is very good if you like Mexican quisine. There is one local brewery that was decent as long as you stay away from the green chile beer. The season pass I purchased at Purgatory comes with 3 passes to Taos and I use all 3 every season.

UK