Endless winter: not so much. Year-round skiing and snowboarding: exactly. Places like the Tamworth Snowdome in the United Kingdom provide snow-sports enthusiasts an opportunity to make some turns without ever leaving the isle.
Indoor ski slopes have become popular attractions around the globe since Ice Arena, formerly known as Snowdome Adelaide, opened its doors in Australia in 1987. Since then, indoor ski facilities from Asia to the Middle East, and Europe to the United States have popped up, but the British have taken the the phenomenon to another level.
Boasting eight operating, and at least one under construction, indoor ski facilities, the United Kingdom gives its country people plenty of options to ski and ride year round.
Below is a list of the indoor ski slopes found in the UK. Click on a link to visit the facilities' website.
1. Xscape Braehead, Kings Inch Road, Braehead, Renfrew, PA4 8XQ
Telephone: 0871 200 3222 | Hours: 09:00 - 23:00 (Daily)
2. Chill Factore, Trafford Quays Leisure Village, Trafford Way, Manchester, M41 7JA
Telephone: 0843 596 22 33 | Hours: 09:00 to 23:00 (Daily)
3. Xscape Castleford, Colorado Way, Glasshoughton, Castleford, Yorkshire, WF10 4TA
Telephone: 0871 200 3221 | Hours: 09:00 to 23:00 (Daily)
4. Ski Village, 4 Vale Road, Sheffield, S3 9SJ
Telephone: 0114 276 9459 | Hours: 14:00 to 22:00 (Wed-Fri), 10:00 to 19:00 (Weekends)
5. SnOasis, Great Blakenham, Suffolk
Telephone: 020 7491 4634 | Hours: Due to open in 2012
6. Snowdome, Leisure Island, River Drive, Tamworth, Staffordshire, B79 7ND
Telephone: 08705 000 011 | Hours: 09:00 to 23:00 (Daily)
7. Xscape Milton Keynes, 602 Marlborough Gate, Central Milton Keynes, MK9 3XS
Telephone: 0871 200 3220 | Hours: 09:00 to 23:00 (Daily)
8. The Snow Centre, St Albans Hill, Hemel Hempstead, Herts, HP3 9NH
Telephone: 020 7491 4634 | Hours: Due to open in April 2009
Cornwall Winter Park, Address currently undisclosed.
Telephone: TBA | Hours: Opening Date TBA
Read OnTheSnow.com Editor-In-Chief Craig Altschul's story It's Raining Outside, So Ski Inside for a first-hand glimpse into Xscape Braehead's SNO!zone Scotland.
Read Paul Doherty's A Map To the World's Indoor, Dry Ski Slopes for more information on indoor ski slopes, details on dry ski slopes, and links to relevant stories.