The charming ski resort of Pralognan la Vanoise is found just at the entry to the Savoie department, France and is nestled right at the foot of one of the Alps greatest glacial ice caps. The resort is full of character and the locals welcoming and friendly.
Situated at the end of the Tarentaise Valley, between the resorts of Courchevel and La Plagne, the family orientated resort has lots to offer throughout the winter as well as the summer.
As a relatively small scale ski resort, Pralognan la Vanoise has a ski area which lives up to its remarkable surroundings. With the magnificent setting right at the foot of the Grande Casse (The highest peak in the area) and in the middle of the Vanoise National Park, skiing here is about as close to nature as you can get. Expect to see local chamois and ibex playing in the snow. From Pralognan village at 1400m the ski area extends right up to 2350 metres above sea level. Because of its proximity to the Vanoise glaciers, the snow cover is generally very good. In addition, there are 70 snow guns topping up the natural snow, from 2350m right down to the village.
Prolognan ski area has skiing for all abilities;
- For beginners: the Mont Bochor and in the village, two ski slopes set aside; Barioz and Poucet.
- For Intermediates: tree skiing and mogul fields.
- For Experts: a range of couloirs and powder skiing on the Combe des Pariettes.
There is also Nordic skiing in Pralognan. It is the 4th largest cross country ski area in the Savoie boasting 26 km of well-maintained ski tracks going in and out of the forest and across the Pralognan Plateau. The majority run alongside the winter footpaths accessible on snowshoes.
In total Pralognan has nine regularly maintained paths for snowshoeing and Nordic walking. The paths lead to ‘La Corniche', the ‘La Fraîche' waterfall or a lookout point. The paths facilitate access to the beautiful little hamlets and villages all around Pralognan. To access the mountain restaurants and bars without skis the Edelweiss and Genepi chairlifts as well as the Mont Bochor cable car are always open for pedestrians.
For those non-skiers, Pralognan la Vanoise has a selection of activities:
- Ice skating, curling, pool, relaxation centre (sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi), bowling and an arcade all in the “Prélude Olympique” sports and recreation centre.
- There is also the bobsleigh rack, organised torchlight visits around the village and the surrounding hamlets, conference facilities, historic tours and a cinema.
Pralognan la Vanoise is certainly one of safest resorts around for kids. As the village is right at the end of the valley, it doesn't have any main roads going through it, nor heavy traffic. As a small resort it's defiantly a favourite for families. The ski school (ESF) and the childcare centre are located right in the centre of town, next to the slopes and all the rest of the activities.
There are several options for childcare in Pralognan:
- The kids club for children 18 months to 6 years old (indoor activities, educational games, workshops, puppet shows, crafts, face painting, painting, reading, sledging, and snowman building)
- Learning to ski in the ESF (French Ski School) snow garden for kids 3 years old and up
- For children 18 months old and under, there are child-minders to look after the little rascals either for a half day or the whole day.