UK
Compare
Favourites

Related Regions: Coeur du Valais - Sion Region, Switzerland, Valais, Europe Overall

Skier & Snowboarder-Submitted Reviews for Evolène

Planning a ski trip to Evolène? Browse our collection of visitor-generated reviews that rank the mountain and ski town on a scale of one to five stars in the following categories: Overall Rating, All-Mountain Terrain, Nightlife, Terrain Park and Family Friendly. See how Evolène stacks up to others in terms of skiing and après, and read up on pros, cons and comments from fellow skiers and snowboarders. Don't forget to submit your own Evolène review! Scroll to the bottom of this page to let other travelers know about your ski area experience.

by: fnsio - 19th December 2009

• 1Nightlife
  • Terrain Park
  • Value
no crowds, good snow
nearly all T-bar lifts, no beginner runs, small

Full review

We spent New Year's Eve at Evolene in 2008. We ended up going there because we booked late and since it's a small station, there were still some spots available at one of the hotels. It was my first time in Switzerland, and I thought Evolene was a charming little town, with chalets perched up on the mountain side (no idea how people could get there!). We also found the locals to be very friendly. We stayed at Les Haudères and there was a ski rental place right across the street from our hotel that was great - the owner was super friendly and had good recommendations of things to do in the area. The ski resort itself is pretty small. The mountain has a steep face with mostly black runs at the bottom, plus a catwalk (blue) to get you down to the base, and then most of the red and other black runs are at the top. There is one chair lift that gets you up to the main cabin, but from there you have to take T-bar lifts up to the main runs. I would say I am an intermediate snowboarder, but I still had somewhat of a hard time getting used to how things work in Suisse. I kept sliding off the T-bars all the time, and could never get all of way up to the red runs. Thankfully there was a lot of fresh powder, so we started the day off in the black hill at the bottom (where we had access by chairlift!). It was my sister's first time skiing, and her only option on the mountain was the catwalk. So overall, not a great place for beginners. The other down side I would say is the nightlife. It was a bit too backcountry for me. Overall I think it's a good resort if you are used to T-bars and are looking to stay away from the crowds. Even on NYE, with great snow on the ground, the mountain was relatively uncrowded. I would also say it's a good place if you are looking to hang out in your cabin afterwards, since the nightlife is not all that great. I would say it's a good spot for families, with skiers who are at a good level.

Rate This Resort

Share your experience at this resort to help other skiers.

• Family Friendly
  • Beginner
  • Intermediate
  • Expert

Select Your Overall Rating:

Snow report and powder alarms!

By subscribing you agree to our terms and conditions

NOTE: If you represent the management of this property and would like to respond to a review, please use the management response form.

Piste Map

Get More From OnTheSnow

Get snow reports, weather, forecasts, news and ski conditions for your favourite ski resorts.