The ski resort of Les Houches is located in Haute-Savoie area of the French Alps. It is only 6 km down the valley from Chamonix, unquestionably the ski and mountaineering capital of the world. With its exceptional backdrop of Mont Blanc, the highest mountain in Europe, the breath-taking panoramas of Les Houches ski area truly set it apart. This family resort, made up of a string of traditional mountain hamlets and a beautiful ski area offers everything a traditional mountain holiday should.
At the foot of Mont Blanc, the Les Houches ski area stretches over 55 km of marked ski runs, from 950 to 1900 metres in altitude. The groomed ski runs descend over high alpine mountain pastures and through the ancient mountain forests. Beginners can safely learn to ski in two different areas, either at the base of the mountain in ‘Le Tourchet' or take the Prarion gondola to the top where they will also find a special beginners area. Freestylers can enjoy the Bellevue Airpark and the DC shoes Area 43. Ski racers can amuse themselves on the Les Houches world cup ski descent, ‘La Verte des Houches'.
Skiing in Les Houches is not only limited to that of downhill, but also cross country skiing, snowboarding, telemarking, freestyle and speed-riding.
- Cross country skiing in Les Houches: 10 Km of marked trails, free and open to all. It is situated in the ‘Chavants' area.
- Try out Speed-riding in Les Houches under the guidance of Absolute Chamonix, the ESF (French ski school' or ‘Ailes de Chamonix (Wings of Chamonix)'
If winter sports are the flagship activity of the valley, Les Houches also has a many other activities on offer in order to make your holiday a truly magnificent one:
- Snowshoeing, tobogganing, ice-skating rink, an adventure park and a climbing wall for those feeling a bit more energetic.
- Farm visits in Saint Bernard and trips to a goat farm for animal lovers.
- Paragliding or a flight in a helicopter around Mont Blanc for those who want to really discover this amazing region of the Alps.
- Relax in the local Spa or relaxation area if you wish to get away from it all.
Accommodation wise Les Houches ski resort has a varied array of hotels, bed and breakfasts and furnished apartments for singles, couples, amongst friends or with the family.
To find a place for the kids to spend their holiday is a key factor in ensuring the success of any mountain ski holiday with the family. The team in Les Houches offers child care and kids clubs for children of all ages. All the available programs pack the kid's days full of activities making sure that parents can make the most of their stay.
- The Kids Club ‘ Les Chavants' is for children aged 18 months up to 10 years.
- The Crèche in Les Houches is for children aged 3 months to 3 years old.
The highlight in Les Houches; a run down the legendary "Verte des Houches"! Along with the ‘Oreiller-Killy' ski run in Val d'Isère, the Verte des Houches is one of only two men's world cup downhill's in France. Amongst racers it is regarded as one of the most beautiful yet most highly challenging, what with its mythical sections including “La Cassure (The Break)", the "Rocher Blanc (White Rock)", the "Goulet", and the "Schuss Battendier". No visit to Les Houches would be complete for any budding intermediate to expert skier without trying it out!